Friday 3 July 2009

What took you so long?......


Have y'all seen this? Don't it make you smile?!
Well - I didn't mean to be away so long! I had every intention of blogging most days and uploading pictures and everything but...... I think life took over.


We've been working like crazy up the field, the beds are full of veg of every description and we have now discovered what's good to grow and what's pointless. The pigeons ate the peas as soon as we planted them out (we raised them till they were so high in pots) but didn't touch the beans (runner and dwarf french). The muntjac ate my redcurrants but nothing is touching the blackcurrants and some idiot cut off all the new growth instead of the old canes when pruning the raspberries so I shall be frequenting the local farm shop in a couple of weeks for our summer raspberry fix (luckily the autumn raspberries don't need careful thought when being pruned, they just need mowing down indiscriminately - I can do that!)


Going up the field is tinged with sadness though, as a good friend, who shared my enthusiasm for it and home education sadly died a couple of months ago after a very short encounter with cancer. Everything I do up there is accompanied with the thought, "Lyn and I did that last year.... " Seasonal living is wonderful but its inevitable rhythm and repetition in one's memory is a mixed blessing.


I've also been turning my thoughts to crafting and how to make it pay. I'm going to open a MISI store (google it!) in the next few weeks and see what happens. I'm completely obsessed with knitting noro yarn and a new yarn from a new discovery: http://www.21centuryyarns.com/

they have 100 space dyed yarn colours to choose from in everything from laceweight to chunky yarn plus dyed silk fabric and felt. I can't afford to keep knitting with it unless I sell the resulting items so that's what I intend to do. At first it will only be baby stuff but if enough people come and buy I hope to knit shawls, scarves, and other bits and bobs for us grown up people later.


Well, I don't want to burn out so I'll leave it there let's hope I blog again sooner rather than later.



No comments:

Post a Comment